Beyond the Mystery
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beyond the Mystery

Exploring the religions of the old and rediscovering our anncestors.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Speaking with the Gods

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Silver Wind
Aud Mon Ra
Silver Wind

Speaking with the Gods Empty
PostSubject: Speaking with the Gods   Speaking with the Gods Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:34 am

Jay's Starting Technique

The first step naturally is to choose an entity that you want to speak with. It can be a God, Goddess, or a nature spirit. I won't go into communicating with the spirits of deceased humans in this article. Once you have selection your subject of interest, do some research on them. Find their associates symbols, read or reread stories about them, even look for related art. Really get familiar with them, and get you mind tuned to their essence.

For this technique we'll use a slightly ritualistic approach with candle magic. Find a candle that you feel represents the deity you are going to communicate with. Try and find a color, smell, shape or size that reminds you of the Gods/Goddesses attributes. For instance, I thought of Manannan as a Storm God, so I chose a black candle that had a very masculine and mysterious scent to it. The shape didn't matter to me as much so I chose something practical. But I could imagine it being helpful symbolism to chose a 3-sided candle for communicating with a triple-aspect goddess and so forth.

Once you have the candle, it's good to add some personal touches to it's appearance to give it more importance. This can be done by carving a symbol representing the god or goddess into the candle. If you are unsure what symbol to use, there are plenty of books that cover this topic, or you can try searching for information on the Internet. If the deity coordinates to one of the planets, you can use the astrological symbol. For instance, Manannan as an ocean god easily coordinates with the planet Neptune, which has the symbol of the triton. In addition to symbols you can attach plants and herbs or surround the candle's base in a wreath of them. Special holder can be used. A shining gold base for a sun god, a shallow bowl filled with water for water elementals… Stones, earth, feathers, you name it. Make the candle special with whatever feels right to you, and has a strong personalized connection to the spirit you want to speak with.

With the candle in hand, the next step is to imbue it with the energy of your will and desire. This process can be started while you are working on decorating the candle. Think about what you know of their history, their nature, and what you hope to gain by speaking with them. Feel energy pouring out of your hands as you work on the candle. Do this at a time when you are feeling an appropriate level of mysticism. Give the candle your full focus, making sure distractions don't take you away from the task. This candle is an expression of your willpower to communicate with a higher entity, and a vessel for you personal energy. It may seem like a lot of work, but this is something you will be suing over and over again. I personally feel it lends more power to the candle the more times you use it.

The second step is to plan a good a time and place to make the connection. For Manannan, since I didn't live near the ocean at the time I chose to communicate during a storm. Likewise, working with a moon deity is best in view of the moon at night, and a nature deity could be contacted in the woods. For some situations you'll have to create your own environment. For fire deities, you could try it in front of a fire place or in a dark room lit by a lot of small candles. The idea is to make you feel closer to the element of that God/Goddess, and to put you in a more mystical mood. It's not a requirement that you be near a like element at all, only a suggestion to help increase the conductiveness. Of course it is also always sensible to find a place or time you won't be disturbed during the process.

Once your candle is ready and you are in place simply sit there for a little bit and calm yourself. Get all distracting thoughts out of the way (as much as any human can expect to) and get comfortable. If you want to be in a chair, on the floor or standing, do it. Whatever feels right in this situation. As you light the candle in front of you, say the deity's name out loud like a mantra. Elongate the syllables and really feel the name. "Maa-naan-naaan" or "Briiih-ghiid" etc. Repeat the name while willing the god or goddess to appear in front of you. Make your will and your call a friendly invitation and a hopeful request for conversation. Some people will see a visual signifier that a pressense has entered the room, others will simply sense a shift in the rooms atmosphere. There isn't one key event used to signify that a deity has arrived. Sometimes they will speak first, other times they will enter and wait to be addressed. I personal usually sense a building of energy as the deity enters the room. When this buildup stabalizes is when I attempt to converse.

This is the hardest part to describe, as it may be different depending on the person. When I communicate with a deity or spirit, I often speak out loud. If you choose to speak out loud, also be sure to "think what you are saying loudly." Make sure that as you are saying the words, you are also thinking of those words and what they mean. As humans we have the amazing ability to speak while thinking of something totally unrelated at the same time. Try to maintain a balance of focus and relaxation. After you speak, immediately clear your mind of thought and listen for an answer. Be patient and be open. Some people receive communication in the form of images, others hear the voice respond in their mind, and some receive mental concepts in return. Feelings and ideas can be as effective as words, and you may want to try communicating with those as well. Likewise if you relate to images stronger than words, try communicating by sending images to the God. Experiment and find the method that works best.

I recommend your first communication with the deity to be an introduction and a statement of purpose. Just like when you approach someone in person, introduce yourself and let them know why you're talking to them. Tell about yourself while also expressing interest in who you are speaking to. Just like with anyone else have a friendly tone, and be respectful until you know who you're speaking to better. It is very possible to have a casual relationship with a deity (sounds funny doesn't it) but in the beginning I highly recommend keeping things more reserved. After introductions are out of the way, wing it. Respond to what they say or move the conversation toward your goal.

For some people, success will be instant. For others practice is needed. I find that the more times you speak with a spirit or deity the easier it becomes to hear and communicate. Some people become comfortable enough that they can communicate while walking in the woods or while driving to work. There will be days no matter how often you practice that your mind is too distracted or nervous, so don't give up and don't let failure get you down! The rewards out weigh the effort tenfold!

Advance Spirit Bonding Technique

Before we begin with the advanced technique I'd like to say that this technique is potentially dangerous. In spite of this I feel comfortable publishing it for two reasons: 1. Too many magic and occult books shy away from anything potentially unsafe or risky and thus the books can come across as being fluffy and unrealistic. There are dangers on the Astral Plane, from immoral magic users in the form of psychic attack, and negative nature elementals. That's a fact any active occultist will have to face someday. 2. Not everyone is going to be able to apply this technique, as it requires some amount of experience and skill. If a newbie is able to do this , then their natural gift will hopefully help them deal with the results.

This is more than just communicating with a God. It's sharing your physical body; being a host for the deity's spirit or soul. Making ones body available to an outside energy is the basis of channeling, and in my experience there are two levels of this process. The most extreme version of channeling has the host completely leave his body so that another entity can inhabit it. This is not only the most dangerous but also the least useful to the experiencer. Classically in this situation a second person is required to interact with the channeled spirit as the body's true soul is pushed or displaced to a different location during the session. If you were to do this on your own you would remember only fragments at best.

What I am teaching here allows a very temporary coexistence within your body. Your soul for the most part still fully inhabits it's vessel and the God or Goddess overlaps parts of your soul while occupying room you make in your body. Let me simply go over a typical sessions requirements and events, and I'll expand on this concept as I do. This should of course be done with an entity you are close with and have communicated with frequently.

I strongly advise doing the advanced communication technique in a well shielded area that you have done magic in previously. Be at your most comfortable and secluded. Ask anyone in your home not to disturb you no matter the reason; turn off your phones ringer, etc. Do whatever you usually do to get yourself into a trance like state. (Incense, dark room, music, whatever.) Call the deity you wish to attempt this with as you always do. You of course want to discuss this idea with the god or spirit as they may be unwilling or unable. I only say unable because of the large range in spirit or deity type, although I believe most all types are capable of this. Once the event is agreed upon, a shift in your will is required. This may vary depending on the type of psychic self defense you have. If you keep shields around you to keep out all outside energy types, you will of course have to lower these or alter their intention. If you have them you know how to do this. Next one needs to become fully aware of his/her spiritual energies. Quiet your mind and feel the shape of your astral body and the energy that infuses your whole body. Feel the flow of the energy and slightly change it's harmonic to be a shade closer to that of the deity/spirit and lightly part the energy in front of your body as if you were opening a door. Mentally/verbally say: "It is my will that (name) enter and share my body" If you want to alter this sentence to have preset limitations (such as "..my body for the next 20 minutes") it is fine of course, although you may want to question why you have a trust issue. Let the Gods energy flow into you. Don't feel like you have to react to it, simply let it be. You won't have to combine your energy with that of the god, they should be able to flow over and around each other without mixing.

The experience at this point will surely vary depending on who or what you are communicating with. The first thing I always feel is very strong energy flowing into my body. This may be gradual, or it may be very quick. It's the entity merging with your body. Because of the size and strength of most deities, the whole of their essence will not fill your body completely. Only a portion of it will, and the rest will surround your body. My awareness increases at least 3 fold at this point, and my perception is very different. The perception thing can be turned on and off really. You should be able to flip back and forth between what you see and what they see. This may also depend on the relationship you have with the deity. Senses like taste, sound, and smell will be most apparently different. An odd combination of divine experience, and physical experience overlapped at the same time. Separate but still existing at the same time. Knowledge can be shared very quickly in this mode, although each entity should have control over what knowledge is imparted. The potential at this point is up to you and who you are dealing with. The mutual benefits should be obvious. The energy overflow from having multiple souls in one body, especially one being a deity is frankly too much to handle for an extended amount of time. If this is the first time you've attempted this, you may want to keep it short. I'll let you use your own judgment with this is. Go by your gut, and if you feel like you should quit or it's getting to be overwhelming just stop.

The separation process for me has always been a communication to the deity that it is time to stop, and the energies have always willfully been withdrawn. Another reason to only do this with a trusted entity that you have worked with many many times before. Reshield yourself as necessary. You should find yourself feeling very energetic when this experience is over.

Copyright © 2002 by Jay Bell / Temple of Manannan Mac Lir
Back to top Go down
http://www.journalhome.com/silverwynd2/

Speaking with the Gods
Page 1 of 1