Beyond the Mystery
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beyond the Mystery

Exploring the religions of the old and rediscovering our anncestors.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Manannan Mac Lir

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Silver Wind
Aud Mon Ra
Silver Wind

Manannan Mac Lir Empty
PostSubject: Manannan Mac Lir   Manannan Mac Lir Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 11:05 am

Manannan Mac Lir is a god whom had only recently come to my attention though he is a very anceint figure, and he has struck my intrest so I decided to try and do more research upon him. Despite the fact that I have been very infulenced by Drudisim and have done a lot of study of the Druid practice the Celtc Gods themselves have remained somewhat illusive to me, though they have become a recent source of interest.

Manannan Mac Lir is Irish god of the sea and fertility, who forecasts the weather. And though he is older then the Tuatha De Danann, he was said to be one of them. His name means Son of the Sea, and he is the husband of Fand who is a Fairy Queen in Celtic Myth. He is the guardian of the Blessed Isles and ruler of Mag Mess (Plain of Joy) an Paradise Island where it is said the souls of the dead go to live.

Manannan has a ship that follows his command without sails; his cloak makes him invisible; his helmet is made of flames and his sword cannot be turned from its mark. He is described as riding over the sea in a chariot.

He is symbolized by the triskelion the man of three legs in a sun wheel.

Manannan Mac Lir 180px-Manx_Triskelion

The triskelion is also portryed in this celtic knot desgin

Manannan Mac Lir Triskelion
Back to top Go down
http://www.journalhome.com/silverwynd2/

Manannan Mac Lir
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Beyond the Mystery :: Pagan Life :: God and Goddess-
Jump to: